Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chapter 8

בס''ד


Rosh Chodesh Adar is in the Air

Avi and Ari think that Rosh Chodesh Adar is the best month.
Join the boys as they decide on their Purim costumes.
What special activities will they have everyday in school?


I can’t wait until next week,” said Avi to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Brown, at the dinner table. “We are going to have a great time at the Rosh Chodesh Adar activities at school,” Ari excitedly chimed in. Avi continued, “everyone has to come in a costume.”

On Rosh Chodesh the whole school is going to have a party. “Today,” said Ari, “my teacher brought a large paper hamentashen to school and inside was small pieces of papers with treats written on them. Mrs. Stein passed a hamentashen hat around the class and everyone picked out the treat that they had to bring to the party. I have to bring two bags of potato chips.” “We did the same thing in our class,” said Avi, “but instead of a hamentashen hat, my teacher had a large hat decorated like a crown. I picked out 2 bottles of juice.”

“Mommy,” said Ari, “can I use some of your make-up to make a clown face?” “Sure” said Mrs. Brown. “Avi, you can also use my make-up.” “I don’t need any make-up. I found my old black beard from last year. I am going to be King Ahasuerus.

“Ari, what is Ari the clown going to wear?” asked Mr. Brown. “Well, I took color paper, cut different size squares, made a design in each square and pinned each square to my pants and shirt. I have a funny yellow hat and a big red polk a dot bowtie from last years costume. “Sounds great Ari. Avi what is King Ahasuerus going to look like?”

“I have a super idea. King Ahasuerus was very fat, so I am going to tuck my pillow into my pants. I am going to wear black pants and shirt and I have a gold color cape with glitters. I have my beard and I made a gold crown.” “You’re going to be a wonderful King Ahasuerus. Don’t forget, you need a gold scepter, so that your subjects can enter your palace safely,” said Avi’s father.

“Oh, I did forget. Thanks for reminding me. Mom, do you have any empty paper towel rolls? I’ll use gold colored wrapping paper to cover the roll,” replied Avi.

The boys finished dinner and went to put the finishing touches on their costumes.

Rosh Chodesh Adar finally arrived. The older classes were going to put on a play and the school choir would sing tons of Purim songs. Everyday, until Purim, there would be different activities. This was a very exciting time.

The entire school was learning all about Purim, Megilla Esther and all the holiday laws and songs.
Rabbi Schwartz, the school principal, was going from class to class telling stories about Esther and Mordechai. Rabbi Schwartz was also dressed-up.

An announcement came over the school loud speaker. “Attention everyone. We are going to have a Purim parade. Please listen carefully and then follow all the instructions.

1. All classes line up at the door.
2. When the parade passes your door, join in. Since this is the month of Adar, we will do things backwards. Grade 7 will start the parade and grade 1 will end the parade.
3. Rabbi Schwartz will lead the parade on a tour. There will be a surprise.
4. REMEMBER NO PUSHING! We all want to have a good time.”

Quickly all the classes lined up and waited for their turn to join in. Purim music was blaring from the loudspeakers. Everyone was so excited. The parade finally reached grade 1. Ari’s class joined in. Avi’s class was next. Rabbi Schwartz was wearing a clown’s costume. He played the trumpet, as he led the children out of the school, down the street and around the corner into a large building.

This building was a Jewish nursing home where the residents were waiting to see the children and hear them sing some Purim songs.

Rabbi Schwartz invited the seniors to join in and sing with the children. The sounds of both the old and young voices singing together was beautiful. Everyone was very happy. Before the children left the nursing home, everyone was served juice and hamtentashen. Then waving good-bye and wishing the resident a happy Purim, the parade went back to school.

Rabbi Schwartz told the children that they had performed a very large Mitzvah.

Purim was just 3 days away. The older classes had collected can goods, candies and money to give to poor families. They were busy making beautiful holiday packages. Although there isn’t any school on Purim, Rabbi Schwartz will drive the grade 7 students around so that they can deliver the Purim packages on Purim.

The day before Purim was a half day at school, Both Ari and Avi had a class party and gave a friend a yummy Purim package. The bell rang, everyone wished each other Chag Purim Sameach and the class was dismissed.

Ari and Avi agreed, Rosh Chodesh Adar was the best month and Purim was the best holiday.

See you soon!
Have a great week.
Safta Miriam



No comments: